Here you will find more about what is happening every day and what kind of extra activities takes place. Every year, the great Kagyu Monlam takes place at Bodhgaya for one week, usually in December. Kagyu Monlam program consists of daily recitation of prayers and aspiration as well as additional charity program, pujas
Every day many great Lamas, Rinpoches, monks and foreign disciples from all over the world join to participate in Monlam.
The recitation of the prayers takes place in the courtyard of the Mahabodhi temple (the great stupa of Bodhgaya), near the Bodhi tree where the Buddha reached enlightenment 2500 years ago.
Usually all the monks and nuns are seated on the ground around the Karmapa and then lay people take their place on the ground or on chairs around them.
From morning to evening, prayers are recited as follow:
6:00 – 7:00 Breakfast
7:00 – 9:00 16 Arhats Prayer & Manjushri Text Prayer
9:00 – 9:15 Break
9:15 – 11:00 Samantabhadra Wishing Prayer (Tea with Bread)
11:00 – 1:00 Lunch Break
1:00 – 2:45 Samantabhadra Wishing Prayer
2:45 – 3:00 Break
3:00 –5:00 Six different wishing Prayers: (Tea offering)
- 1. Manjushri Prayer
- 2. Bodhisattva Way Prayer
- 3. Amithaba Prayer
- 4. Mahamudra Auspicious Prayer
- 5. Buddha Akshobya Prayer
- 6. Short Mahakala Puja
6:00 – 8:00 Dinner
Note for additional Kagyu Monlam program:
1) The first day early morning lighting ceremonial lamp by His Holiness.
2) Teachings by His Holiness Gyalwa Karmapa on Samantabhadra aspiration.
3) Puja for death souls
4) Empowerment of Chenrezig/Tshepagmed by His Holiness Karmapa at Karma Temple only for lay practitioner.
5) Meals Offering to poor people every day at Birla Dharamshala
6) Tsog offering on the last day of Kagyu Monlam
7) Last day Mandala offering by sponsors & closing ceremony.
Usually some extra activities will take place, such as Tsok Pujas, special rituals or enthronements. As soon as we know more about these events, we post it in a News section.
Nota bene: the order of the recitation is almost the same every year and the main prayer is “The King of Aspiration Prayers of Noble, Excellent Activity”
You can download the text of “The King of Aspiration Prayers of Noble, Excellent Activity” here : http://www.bodhipath.org/sangcho_monlam/